Tuesday, January 18, 2011

21 Days of Prayer - John 9 - Turn On The Lights

I was recently walking down one of the hallways at the new church building by myself. I wasn’t going to be there long, so I hadn’t gone to the bother of turning on all of the lights. I had a flashlight in my pocket, but hadn’t bothered to turn it on, either. Instead, I just made my way in the dark.

As I moved along, I sensed that I was probably coming to a corner and needed to turn but couldn’t see exactly where I was going. I found out pretty quickly that I was correct in my assumption when my whole body ran right into the wall in front of me. Reality! As I stumbled through the darkness I was suddenly brought to the realization that I could use the light.

As we continue through our 21 Days of Prayer, we have been reading the Gospel of John together. Today we are in chapter 9 and come to a powerful story of one man moving from darkness into light. Jesus heals the man from physical blindness that he had experienced since birth. As you read through the chapter you will observe the differing way in which the people viewed Jesus. Some were puzzled by Him. Some resisted Him. Some worshipped Him. Different people see Him in different ways.

How do you see Him? What is your view of Jesus? Who do you think He was? Who do you see Him as in your life today? He promises in this chapter that He has come to be the light of the world. Yet, so many of us stumble along in the darkness instead of allowing Him to shine in our lives.

Today, my prayer is that you and I will allow Jesus to bring His light to us. I pray that I will see things the way He sees them. I hope that I will receive His healing in my life, and that you will, too. Set aside some time today to talk with God about allowing the light of Jesus to illuminate the dark hallways of your life.

No comments: