Friday, January 14, 2011

21 Days of Prayer - John 5 - What Are You Waiting For?

I can remember a time when I had ordered something through the mail. I waited expectantly for it to come. I had an idea in my mind when it would arrive. But, much to my dismay, the doorbell didn’t ring. Several days probably went by before I realized that maybe I had missed the stirring at the door. I felt somewhat foolish when I opened the front door, looked out on the porch and saw my package. The thing I had been waiting for was there all of the time.

What are you waiting for? Is there something that you desire from life, or from God, but it seems to be illusive to you? Are you looking for love? Do you try to earn acceptance? Do you long for freedom or forgiveness? Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? What are you waiting for?

Sometimes I think we get the mistaken idea that God is playing some sort of chess match with us. Once we make a move, then He’ll make one. If we can do just the right thing, then maybe His next move will be a blessing to us. The story we read today in John chapter 5, however, enlightens us to the fact that it isn’t meant to work that way.

In John 5 there was an invalid man who sat by a pool waiting for something spiritual to happen. He was frustrated when he could not receive his healing. Jesus told him that he didn’t have to worry about that any more. You see, the one standing in front of him was the Son of God, Himself. If anyone could heal him, it was Jesus. No more magic or timely maneuvers, just believe.

How about you? Is it time for you to stop working for God’s approval or trying to manipulate blessing in your life? Maybe it is time to just believe. The Son of God, Himself is calling to you. He loves you more than you can imagine. Don’t just talk about praying or fasting. Seriously communicate with Him today. Tell Him your need. Listen to the Holy Spirit’s promptings in your heart. And put your trust in Him. He is the one who can heal you today.

It’s All About Jesus!

No comments: