Saturday, January 15, 2011

21 Days of Prayer - John 6 - At The End Of The Day

Today is day six of our journey through the Gospel of John and we are nearing the end of our first week in the 21 Days of Prayer. I have already seen the difference that prayer can make. It is clear that God supplies and answers as we seek Him. As we set aside time for Him and choose to open ourselves to His will, we will notice an increased sensitivity to the voice of the Spirit.

Take a moment today, maybe right now, to read through the sixth chapter of John. As I read through John chapter six, I noticed several stories about Jesus that were very familiar to me. He feeds the five thousand to show that He can supply all our needs, even when it seems like He has nothing to work with. Jesus walks on the water, proving that the powers of nature are nothing to our supernatural God. Our Lord teaches that, as the bread of life, He satisfies all our desires. But in spite of all of this, at the end of the chapter, many of his disciples desert Him. Interesting stuff.

A few years ago I picked up a practice for when I read scripture devotionally. Before I read, I ask the Holy Spirit to open my eyes to what He wants me to see. And then I look for one verse or thought to hang on to in that passage. Rather than try to immediately apply everything I’ve read, I desire to have the Spirit illuminate one thing that I can walk away with.

As I read John six, the Holy Spirit seemed to point my spirit to John 6:68-69. After all of the stories and miracles and teaching and rejection in this chapter, I was drawn to the words of Peter. He confessed, “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God.” After all of the miraculous events and tumultuous times, Peter had captured the truth. Our love for God isn’t about what He does for us. It is founded on who He is to us.

I don’t know what you are facing today. You may be experiencing miracles. You may be tempted with rejecting the voice of God in your life. Either way, here is the truth: Jesus is the Holy One of God. He is the only way, truth and life. He is the one who loves you unconditionally with a plan for your life. And no matter what your life circumstances, at the end of the day, He is the only place in which your hope can be securely placed.

I pray that you will trust Him today with all that you have. Where else would you go? There is no one else like Him in greatness, power or love.

It’s all about Jesus!

No comments: