Monday, January 10, 2011

21 Days - John 1 - Recognizing Him

It happened to me again the other day. I could tell when he approached me that the gentleman knew who I was. But I was in a hurry. I was trying to get one of my children where they needed to be and time was tight. He started to speak to me, and initially, I just gave a polite reply. But then it hit me. I know this guy! It was the father of a friend of mine. I felt embarrassed that I almost ignored him, but relieved that I had made the connection. Isn’t it funny how sometimes we can pass right over the people and things that we really should recognize?

Today we begin our journey together through the Gospel of John. I was struck at how Jesus is introduced to us in the first chapter. John gives us some theological background on who Jesus is in verses 1-18. He does this so we will know who Jesus really is. The rest of the chapter tells the story of how John the Baptist and Jesus’ first disciples recognized who He was. Not unlike my experience, they had to stop and see that this Jesus was no ordinary man.

Verse 10 struck me when I read it. “He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.” Our world is so self-focused that people miss who Jesus is. The truth is, if I’m not careful, I can be so driven and distracted that I forget who He is. I get caught up in my needs and requests that even in prayer I can fail to stop and meet with the one who is the beginning of it all.

Take the next few moments and read John chapter one. Set aside some time to turn your thoughts to Jesus. Make a commitment that these next three weeks will be All About Jesus. Join me in doing all that you can to recognize Him as center of your life.

I am praying for you that this 21 Day journey will be life-changing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pastor Chad,

It looks like John the Baptist didn't realize fully who he was. What do you think: Joh 1:21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elijah? And he saith, I am not. Art thou the prophet? And he answered, No.

Note: Art thou Elijah? Later Jesus recognized him as Elijah.

We don't have to know all about ourselves to be effective. Our focus is on Jesus and living for Him.

What are your thoughts.